Saturday, January 21, 2012

Grocery Challenge #2

Meals
  • Steak salad with grape tomatoes, romaine, butter lettuce and chimichurri sauce
  • Alton Brown's pan seared ribeye (bought another steak and more red wine vinegar for dinner)
  • Chicken salad with grape tomatoes, romaine and spinach (left over from last week)
  • Mushrooms with onions, garlic and truffle salt (see ribeye post)
  • Fried eggs (with things like leftover mushrooms or avocado halves)
  • Banana & almond milk smoothies
  • Anchovy and radish salad
  • Lemony roasted potatoes (an oldie but goodie from the Veganomicon cookbook)

Planned But Did Not Make
  • Roasted eggplant
  • Tuna and green bean salad
  • Mint iced tea
  • Egg salad
  • My Ivy Chopped Salad from the GOOP newsletter
  • Tomato and avocado salsa
Leftover
  • Eggplant
  • 1 avocado
  • Mint
  • Green beans
  • Onions
  • 1 can tuna
  • Anchovies
  • 1/2 a bulb of garlic
  • Zucchini
  • Cabbage
  • Some butter lettuce
  • 1 romaine heart
  • 2 lemons
Why didn't I use up all my groceries? I had a few restaurant meals (Ceia brunch and Sei Bar with my boyfriend & his parents) and bought lunch out a few times. I also noticed a pattern with the "planned but not made" meals. I either used the ingredients for other things (e.g., using up all the tomatoes in salads before they could become salsa) or could not muster up the energy to wash and chop the vegetables for salads.

I could try to change my lunch preparation by making sure to prep the veggies the night before. However, I don't like salads as much after the ingredients have sat for a day, and I've had a few mishaps trying to carry individual portions of salad dressing to school. Either I'll front-load the salad prep on Sundays or try to find things that are quicker to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment