Saturday, January 7, 2012

Recipe #1 - Pineapple, Honeydew and Mango Salad

I made recipe #1 for a math party that I attended today. The party was a potluck, and the host asked guests to bring salad, dessert, or drinks. I decided to combine the dessert and salad by bringing this fruit salad from Epicurious.

Ingredients
2 cups diced peeled fresh pineapple
1 cup diced seeded peeled honeydew melon
1 cup diced peeled pitted mango
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh cilantro or mint
1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
1 tablespoon minced red bell pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preparation
Mix all ingredients except sesame seeds in large bowl. Let stand 10 minutes for flavors to blend. Divide fruit mixture among wineglasses and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Modifications
I bought precut honeydew and pineapple to save time. I used mint instead of cilantro and cut the fruit very small, as reviewers recommended. I didn't include sesame seeds. I forgot to buy limes, so I ended up using two tablespoons of pisco sour.


I also had thought I could use an orange bell pepper that I had in the fridge, but it was wrinkly, so I used a cara cara orange.


My Thoughts
Deliciousness: 4 stars. The mangoes weren't ripe, and I would have preferred the lime juice and a little texture from the bell pepper. I'm glad I didn't use cilantro though--that would have been overpowering.
Ease of Preparation: Very quick--I finished it within two weddings of an episode of Four Weddings (~20 minutes).

The Final Product


2 comments:

  1. Kristina this sounds wicked good! I loves me some fresh ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the first comment! Me too, I can't wait for farmers markets to start back up again this spring.

    ReplyDelete